[Yum] forcing yum to bind to a different local ip address

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 15:01:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 10:01 -0400, David Mansfield wrote:

> I'm using yum 2.6.1 from FC5 and I'd like to force yum to use a
> different local ip interface (address) than the default.  This is
> exactly what the '-b' option to ssh does.
>
> My workstation has two ip addresses (on eth0 and eth0:1).
>
> The reason is that our LAN connects to two different ISP's.  By
> selecting the interface, we can select which ISP the traffic goes through.
>
> Is it possible to force yum to bind to a different local ip
> interface/address?

One approach is to tell yum to use a proxy on a different machine, with
the proxy server configured to use the desired gateway as the default.
If you have more than one machine to update you also gain local caching
if the proxy is configured to save files that large - and yum picks
the same mirror URL.  You can either add the proxy in yum.conf or
export it as http_proxy in the environment.

--
 Les Mikesell
  lesmikesell at gmail.com