[Yum] Problem running Yum on FC5 -- am I the only one?

Will Meister will at meister.com
Tue Jul 4 09:48:54 UTC 2006

Hi chaps, I've been having some Yum problems.

A couple of days ago I reinstalled FC, choosing FC5 because of its
inbuilt driver support for my SCSI RAID array.

I reinstalled yum from 2.6.1.1, the most recent stable rpm listed on the
yum site. rpm flagged three dependencies, which I installed
appropriately.

libxml2-2.6.23-1.2
python-urlgrabber-2.9.7.1
sqlite-3.2.8-1

When I tried to run yum, I got a complex error message which is quoted
in full below. As far as I can make out, yum can't pick up necessary
header info. I did all the obvious things ("yum clean all" etc) and then
Googled around to look for non-obvious ones. I found a lot of discussion
of yum / python issues and tried reinstalling a couple of python
components as suggested -- no dice.

In the end I simply reinstalled yum 2.4.1, but I would like to know if
anyone else has the same problems I did in running later yums.

I note that the distribution comes with an old python-sqlite
(python-sqlite-1.1.7-1.2) for which I guess there must be a reason. Any
suggestions?

Best, Will

That yum error message in full:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 80, in main
base.getOptionsConfig(args)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 177, in getOptionsConfig
self.doConfigSetup(fn=opts.conffile, root=root)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 104, in
doConfigSetup
self.getReposFromConfig()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 135, in
getReposFromConfig
parser.read(files)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/parser.py", line 225, in read
IncludingConfigParser.read(self,filename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/parser.py", line 126, in read
ConfigParser.read(self,filename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/ConfigParser.py", line 267, in read
self._read(fp, filename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/ConfigParser.py", line 462, in _read
raise MissingSectionHeaderError(fpname, lineno, line)
ConfigParser.MissingSectionHeaderError: File contains no section
headers.
file: ///etc/yum.repos.d/fnx.repo, line: 1
'PMs (FC5)\n'