[Yum] yumdownloader --source kernel does not intall src for the running kernel?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jan 25 10:18:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 tomasflyer at netscape.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need the source code for my currently running kernel and more and more
> desperate try to follow the instructions at:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Kernel?highlight=%28kernel%29
>
> My currently installed kernels:
> % yum list kernel
> Installed Packages
> kernel.i686                              2.6.14-1.1656_FC4      installed
> kernel.i686                              2.6.14-1.1637_FC4      installed
> Available Packages
> kernel.i586                              2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
> updates-released[
>
> My currently running kernel:
> % uname -r
> 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
>
> Trying to get the source rpm:
> % yumdownloader --source kernel
> ./kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.src.rpm already exists and appears to be complete
>
> But kernel-2.6.11 is neither the running kernel nor even installed?!?
>
> I probably missed some configuration or parameter somewhere. Can anyone
> please give me a hint?

Yum default setup in FC doesn't include SRPMS repository of updates, and
in fact the repository metadata isn't even created for updates SRPMS:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/SRPMS/

Downloading the latest (or one that matches your running kernel) kernel
src.rpm manually ain't that hard...

 	- Panu -