[Yum] Yum No Longer runs

Tue Jan 17 07:31:26 UTC 2006

 Joshua Jensen deliriously scratched out the following message on Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 12:54:51PM -0500:
> That is your problem.  A Linux distro is made to work *together*... you
> upgrade to a version outside of the disto and you just might find that
> some things no longer work.  You have probably broken several other
> things that require the official FC3 version of python.

Yeah, that's true.  And its also true that you can find some fc4-level rpms
available in some of the repositories.  I've been enticed into upgrading
my fc2 python to 2.4 and my yum to 4.2.  It means that occasionally I have
to back out an update because things have broken.

> If you must stay with your "one off" version of python, try rebuilding
> yum from source rpm.  That could very well fix your problem.

'No module named yum' is not good.  In this case I've picked up the latest
yum package for fc2 I could find and downgraded yum.  Then in some cases
I've had to also go get python-elementtree, python-celementtree and url-grabber.

uhh... 'rpm -Uvh --old-package http://repository/old-package.rpm'

On the other hand I had another box that upgraded beyond fc2 like that and
it was missing python-elementtree.  I knew it was for python2.4 since the
error message said that python2.4 was the current version (thanks for putting
that detail in the error message).  I did have the most current version of
python-elementtree I could find installed but naturally it was installed
under python2.3.  So I tried soft linking
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/elementtree to
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/elementtree.  Worked!

So is there an appreciable difference between the 2.3 and 2.4 versions of
python-elementtree?  Will the aliens come down and make me reinstall because
this is screwing up hyperspace for everybody?

> JOshua
>
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 03:25:40PM -0800, John Gordon wrote:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > An update to my fedora 3 core server at some point caused yum to fail to
> > start any longer.  Here's the error output I get when I enter the command,
> > "yum":

<snip>

> --
> Joshua Jensen
> joshua at iwsp.com
> "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

Dana Bourgeois
"Who knows where thoughts really come from?  They just sort of appear."
  --Empire Records