[Yum] Specifying alternate path to RPM database directory

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 18:58:21 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 08:27 -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
> Our packages have no external dependencies.

Are you positive about that ? That would reduce your rpm's to a bunch of
text files (if you install scripts, you depend on the script
interpreter, like /bin/sh, if your scripts use rm, you depend on
coreutils, if you install ELF executables you depend on glibc etc.)

Even without external dependencies, having two rpm DB's defeats the
purpose of rpm: your users now need to remember that your packages go
into the special DB, while everything else goes in the normal DB; that
makes it possible for them to install the same rpm twice, install two
different versions of an rpm without anybody noticing etc.

I highly recommend going to a one rpm DB setup. You'll save yourself a
lot of trouble.

David