[Yum] specifying architectures in the grouplist.xml?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jan 11 06:36:23 UTC 2006

> My scenarios are as follows:
>
> 1) A unified repository for a group that has software to deploy. The
> SA is testing switching over, and wants a guarantee that only packages
> for the abi being tested will be installed.

yum --exclude='*.i?86' groupinstall foo

> 2) In production for an application only the x86 version of a library
> has been tested and qualified, the x86_64 version has bugs, however
> but is present in a production repo because the repository is unified
> and so the broken library is there for testing but yum may install it
> anyway. So only the x86 version should be deployed but the x86_64
> version can be installed as well even though it's broken.

yum  groupinstall foo

> 3) By far the most common case IMO, aaaa control freak SA wants a
> 64-bit only system.

yum --exclude='*.x86_64' groupinstall foo

> I'm not trying to be too light about this. I'm writing while on
> vacation, though, so I'm feeling oddly relaxed.

I do understand what you're looking for I'm just trying to figure out
how to do it b/c I'm pretty sure that  getting support for architectures
into the comps.xml format is going to meet with some strong
resistance....