[Yum] problems related to packages dependencies...

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 18:14:39 UTC 2006

On 1/8/06, Dominique MOREAU <dominique.moreau at skynet.be> wrote:
> Indeed, I installed some software such as Skipe, no-ip (but this one was
> compiled on my system without problem).
> Dominique

Please don't top post. It's not polite.

Your response doesn't answer Greg's question. He asked what command
you ran that failed, and what the output was.  He also asked if you
had edited yum.conf or added to /etc/yum.repos.d/
'Indeed' doesn't count as an answer.

It's generally not a good idea to mix building software locally AND
installing software via yum. RPM and yum won't know about the software
that you compiled and installed manually, and you'll end up with
dependency issues and conflicts because of it. If you HAVE to build
from source, it's not difficult to make an rpm, so you might consider
a little extra legwork to make sure your package management system is
aware of what's on your system. Odds are good that if you need it,
someone else did too and has already built it. You would do well to
ask your distro support channel where to find packages for certain
things if they don't show up via yum by default.

Please answer Greg's initial questions so that people can actually
provide assistance, or at the very least tell you where to go to seek
help.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT