[Yum] Can we use yum to update RHEL?

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Thu Jan 5 21:40:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 13:00 -0800, jack jin wrote:
> Hi:
> In order to update RPM for RHEL (WSv# or ASv#), we are
> using RHN.
> I wonder if we can use Yum to update RPM for RHEL. I
> checked Redhat website, and couldn’t found RPM for
> Redhat enterprise version, like wsv3 etc, they only
> provide SRPM, like below link:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/
> They provide RPM for Redhat 7/8/9 and Fedora.
> So can I get confirmation from here that we can’t use
> Yum for RHEL (wsv# or ASv#)?

Jack,

We use yum to update over 5,000 RHEL machines after we pull down the
RPMs from RHN and sanitize them, making our own yum repos.  Of course,
we have an agreement with Red Hat where we sync up licensing every
quarter.

Just download the yum-2.4.2 src.rpm and run rpmbuild --rebuild it.

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.