[Yum] Yum and proxy

Gary gmerin at eurisko.com
Mon Jan 2 19:17:37 UTC 2006

I know this will probably sound very naïve, but I have three Dell 1850s
recently installed with Fedora FC4 64bit; when I try to run YUM with the
proxy environment variable set as this:

HTTP_PROXY="http://this.proxy.com:8000/"

YUM doesn't recognize the proxy and fails immediately, but with the
environment variable set as follows:

http_proxy="http://this.proxy.com:8000/"

Case of the variable name seems to be important.

I have no idea why this is working for me (I haven't had the time to
actually run through the sources, although I suspect it will track back to
the python libs), and I originally thought it had to be something else, but
I have the exact same behavior on all three machines even though the three
boxes were not configured simultaneously or via a disk image; perhaps you
might try setting a lowercase shell variable similarly?