[Yum] Assuming yes with YUM

Ream, Jeff - BMG Columbia House, Inc Jeff.Ream at bmgch.com
Thu Feb 2 18:32:19 UTC 2006

What are the possible pitfalls of using the optional "-y" (assume yes).

I am using YUM to patch several servers via a process of remote login
with SSH and will be executing the "YUM update [package] command via
perl script to many servers in sequence. Since I am picking the packages
in advance, I am assuming that what ever needs to take place to update
the package should be OK.

Is there a situation in which YES might not be the correct response?
Since I am picking the packages in advance, I am assuming that what ever
needs to take place to update the package should be OK. I realize that
there may be some dependencies that may also require updating as well.

Are there any other questions asked by YUM where a YES might be
detrimental?

Has anyone else had experiences with using the -y option?

Jeffery W. Ream
Systems Programmer

1400 N. Fruitridge Ave.
Terre Haute, IN 47811