[Yum] Yum fails spectacularly a lot - and I miss it.

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Tue Dec 12 14:33:11 UTC 2006

are you behind a proxy?  The version of yum in Centos 4.4 can handle a
proxy fine.  You may have to manually upgrade yum on the FC4 machine to
the latest version that can handle proxies.

Aaron Hawryluk wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I’ve been browsing the mailing list and newsgroups to no effect, so
> apologies in advance if this problem has been described and solved before.
>

> I have a problem connecting to yum from both Linux machines in my office
> – one CentOS 4.4 box and a Fedora Core 4 machine. Up2date works fine on
> the CentOS box.
>
> The CentOS box does this:
>

> Reading repository metadata in from local files
>
> Setting up Package Sacks
>
> Excluding Incompatible Archs
>
> Finished
>
> Reading Local RPMDB
>
> Parsing package install arguments
>
> No other yumex installed, adding to list for potential install
>
> reduced installs :
>
>    yumex.noarch 0:1.0.2-1.0.c4
>
> Resolving Dependencies
>
> 1165869483.49
>
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>
> Member: yumex.noarch 0-1.0.2-1.0.c4 - u
>
> ---> Downloading header for yumex to pack into transaction set.
>
> yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch 100% |=========================| 359 kB
> 00:01
>
> http://mirrors.csumb.edu/centos/4.4/extras/i386/RPMS/yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch.rpm:
> [Errno -1] Header is not complete.
>
> Trying other mirror.
>
> yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch 100% |=========================| 359 kB
> 00:01
>
> http://pubmirrors.reflected.net/centos/4.4/extras/i386/RPMS/yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch.rpm:
> [Errno -1] Header is not complete.
>
> Trying other mirror.
>
> yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch 100% |=========================| 359 kB
> 00:01
>
> http://ftp.telus.net/pub/centos/4.4/extras/i386/RPMS/yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch.rpm:
> [Errno -1] Header is not complete.
>
> Trying other mirror.
>
> yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch 100% |=========================| 359 kB
> 00:03
>
> http://centos.westmancom.com/4.4/extras/i386/RPMS/yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch.rpm:
> [Errno -1] Header is not complete.
>
> Trying other mirror.
>
> yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch 100% |=========================| 359 kB
> 00:02
>
> http://centos.cs.ucr.edu/centos/4.4/extras/i386/RPMS/yumex-1.0.2-1.0.c4.noarch.rpm:
> [Errno -1] Header is not complete.
>
> Trying other mirror.
>

> ...and so on until it exhausts all mirrors.
>

> The fedora box does this:
>

> Setting up Install Process
>
> Setting up repositories
>
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
>
> Parsing package install arguments
>
> Resolving Dependencies
>
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>
> ---> Downloading header for yumex to pack into transaction set.
>
> yumex-1.0.2-1.0.fc4.noarc 100% |=========================| 361 kB
> 00:08
>
> yumex-1.0.2-1.0.fc4.noarc 100% |=========================| 361 kB
> 00:02

> [...]

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099