[Yum] Trouble after upgdarding FC3 to FC6

Stargazer stargazer at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 22:43:11 UTC 2006

David Timms wrote:
> Stargazer wrote:
Although this is like pulling teeth I feel it is getting somewhere, and
thank you again for your kind patience and want to continue to help
others reading this exchange in the future.

> > David Timms wrote:
>
> Umm: since rpm is not yet fixed, you still need to do the:
>
> # rpm --root /mnt/sysimage ... whatever command you are trying!

Oops, yes understood, thanks

#rpm --root /mnt/sysimage -Fvh ne* gli* rpm* sql*
(No output - just returned to the bash prompt)
> > warning: neon-0.25.5-5.1.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA Signature: NOKEY, key
> > ID 4f2a6fd2
> > Then the prompt. Did this work?
> To check:
> # rpm ... -q neon

#rpm --root /mnt/sysimage -q neon
neon-0.25.5-5.1
> To verify: {should be no output unless mod it to -Vv)
> # rpm ... -V neon

#rpm --root /mnt/sysimage -V neon
(No output)
> The message suggests that the pgp security key has not yet been
> installed. I would have thought that this would be one of the first
> that got upgraded, and I forgot to get you to list it.
>
> # rpm -Uvh ... fedora-release*
package fedora-release-notes-6-3 is already installed
package fedora-release-6-4 is already installed

#rpm --root /mnt/sysimage -Uvh sqlite*
package sqlite-3.3.6-2 is already installed
package sqlite-devel-3.3.6-2 is already installed

#rpm --root /mnt/sysimage -Uvh rpm-libs*
error: failed dependancies
 rpm = 4.4.2-32 is needed by rpm-libs-4.4.2-32.i386

#rpm --root /mnt/sysimage -Uvh rpm-4*
error: failed dependancies
librpm-4.4.so is needed by rpm-4.4.2-32.i386
librpmbuild-4.4.so is needed by rpm-4.4.2-32.i386
librpmdb-4.4.so is needed by rpm-4.4.2-32.i386
librpmio-4.4.so is needed by rpm-4.4.2-32.i386

> >> It's probably better to add more required packages rather than less.
> >> {I have managed this sort of problem before, but it does take some
> >> persistence}. Are using a DVD.iso ?
> >>
> > I burnt the DVD from the Fed site a few days ago, and am booting
> > rescue from it.
> Good, then you will at least have all packages available.
>
> ps: Perhaps the upgrade ran out of space ? Also, if there is a lot of
> third-party repository packages installed, you might get snookered
> because matching updates for these are not installable while
> attempting to upgrade the old stuff.
Theres enough disk space, and this system has actually been upgraded
over time using the CD's from FC1->FC2->FC3 with quite a few
customisations, which is why I really don't want to just format the disk
and install from scratch.