[Yum] yum chooses 'older' provides

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Dec 8 22:21:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:28:08PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> comparing version numbers of 2 packages that don't have the same name
> doesn't do any good - you're comparing apples to oranges and since
> version numbers are arbitrary w/i any application you have no idea what
> you'd be getting. At least the way it is it's deterministic.

Comparing 2 packages which provides a versioned provides with the same name
is not comparing apple and oranges. If I have 2 packages who have

Provides:  foo = x.y-z

and

Provides:  foo = A.b-c

comparing x.y-z and A.b-c is comparing packages with virtual provides
with the same name. Using the version of the versioned virtual
provides may not be always right, but not more nor less than using
the shortest name. Agreed, there may be 2 packages which changed name
and still have a virtual provides with the old name, and in that case the
result is not right. However, I can't think about a case where using
the virtual provides version is worse than using the shortest name,
while there may be cases (like the one I presented above or the libnet)
in which it is the right thing to do.

--
Pat