[Yum] yum chooses 'older' provides

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Dec 8 17:21:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 06:30:33PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> it's a 'feature' of a sort.
>
> when dealing with equally as good different-named provides of a
> dependency yum does:
>
> 1. closest arch to the arch of the system
> 2. shortest name of the package
>
> it's #2 where libnet10 is being grabbed.

Is it really a feature, or a bug not important enough to care about?
In my opinion, in case there are only versioned virtual provides, the
higher should be chosen. And when there are also unversionned virtual
provides and 2 or more versioned provides, the packages providing the
lowest virtual provides should not be choosen.

More generally, does yum ignores the version of versioned virtual
provides? In that case there are certainly other similar issues, with
Conflict, Obsolete(?) or even versioned Requires? But maybe this is
because this opens too much issues, because it interacts with Requires,
Conflicts and Obsoletes?

> change the dep so libnet-devel is pulled in specifically.

Indeed users should do yum install libnet-devel since there is only
a static lib, but it still would make sense to have yum install libnet
does the right thing. And I guess there are cases with different packages
implementing a versioned capability where this should be really interesting
(for example, at some points we discussed having a versionned
motif/motif-devel virtual provides for openmotif and lesstif. It is not
done, but would make sense).

--
Pat