[Yum] Does yum take into account dependecies of packages outside repositories?

Ramón García ramon.garcia.f+yum at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 15:05:51 UTC 2006

I am unable to install rpms to my tomcat installation from jpackage
repository with yum. The
initial installation of tomcat worked, but when I try to add some other package,
say

yum install xml-commons-jaxp-1.3-apis

the following error appears:

Processing dependency: jdk = 2000:1.5.0_09-fcs for package java-1.5.0-sun-compat
Error: missing dependency: jdk = 2000:1.5.0_09-fcs is needed by
package java-1.5.0-sun-compat

The missing dependency is provided by the Sun JDK, but since its
distribution is restricted, it is not stored in the yum repository of
JPackage, thus it was installed by hand with rpm -i. And it has the
correct epoch (2000) and version (1.5.0_09-fcs).

Looking at yum source code, it seems that for resolving dependencies
it looks for repository only, and not to the RPM database.

This is yum 2.4 in CentOS 4.3