[Yum] Yum and RedHat Enterprise

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Thu Aug 31 15:44:29 UTC 2006

I found this post via Google.

I believe I understand what he's asking about... let me present another
scenario:

We had to install RHEL for some EMC devices (long story).   The servers
reside on backend RFC networks and have no outside connectivity (they
never will).    They need a way to receive updates in a manageable fashion.

Personally, I prefer to use YUM... our other machines are CentOS based,
and yum works fine.  To me, it seems easier to setup and manage.

Interestingly, "locate" finds this on RHEL4:

    /etc/log.d/scripts/services/yum
    /etc/log.d/conf/services/yum.conf
    /etc/log.d/conf/logfiles/yum.conf
    /usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumRepo.pyc
    /usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumRepo.py
    /usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumBaseRepo.py
    /usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumBaseRepo.pyc

I wonder if there is a way to have YUM utilize the RHN, without having
to set up yet another repository.   I'm not much of a programmer, but
these files make me think that it's possible.

My overall goal is to create a mirror of CentOS' repository and
configure our servers to "yum" from that.  I'd like to do similiarly for
RHEL, if feasible.

I wonder, too, if we cannot use YUM with RHEL updates, if there may be a
way to proxy the process... sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

_F

*Lawrence, Steve* Steve.Lawrence at factiva.com
<mailto:yum%40lists.dulug.duke.edu?Subject=%5BYum%5D%20Yum%20and%20RedHat%20Enterprise&In-Reply-To=>
/Wed Nov 17 15:01:09 EST 2004/

      <https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-November/005621.html>
      <https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-November/005608.html>
      <https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-November/date.html#5615>
      [ thread ]
      <https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-November/thread.html#5615>
      [ subject ]
      <https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-November/subject.html#5615>
      [ author ]
      <https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-November/author.html#5615>

Depends. If you're looking to replace RHN with something 'else' out
there because you're not licensed, then you're pretty much on your own.
There's an 'enterprising soul' out there who's got a repository for RHEL
which is built from the source rpm's, but a) it'll cost you some small
amount of dollars/month, and b) If you're running a production machine
I'd be rather dubious about downloading RHEL patches from anyone other
than RH. (apologies to the enterprising soul).

If you're looking to patch a large number of machines and don't want

A) to saturate your bandwidth
B) some of your machines to be connected to the internet at all
C) to adminster your machines from RHN's interface
D) <insert other thing>

You can create a repository of your own. BUT... you need to download the
binaries from RHN.

Essentially you have to create your own repository by downloading all
the binaries from one of your licensed servers, then distribute them out
to your other servers via yum.

You can do this with a bit of judicial scripting around a command
similar to the following :

up2date --nox --showall --channel \"rhel-i386-es-3 \"

Slap all the rpm's into a directory run yum-arch / createrepo on it,
then have all your other machines point to your repository.

Bob's yer uncle.

S.