[Yum] Bleeding edge avoidence

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 23:55:55 UTC 2006

> Any change can break things, even if it is intended as a bug/security
> fix, and there are some machines where you really want someone else
> to do the testing first.   I've always thought that yum should have
> an option to ignore anything newer than a specified timestamp just
> to make updates repeatable across a set of machines, but it is
> another good point that you may just want to be sure you have a few
> days to watch for problems that others mention on the mailing list
> before updating a critical server.  I think the only way to have that
> kind of control now is to mirror a complete copy of all the repositories
> you use locally so they can age a bit.

Very true, however anyone using 'bleeding edge' and 'critical server'
in the same sentence needs to take a very close look at their concept
of reality and compare it to the rest of the population. Any critical
system should have testing done on a dev/test environment before
production. That's admin 101 stuff however and I don't feel that it's
appropriate for software to decide. At most I see this being a yum
plugin for desktop/hardcore perpetual testers. My personal opinion is
that it has no place in yum proper.

George Orwell