[Yum] Bleeding edge avoidence

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 18:22:03 UTC 2006

On 8/29/06, Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there any thought to a parameter to tell yum to not look at object more
> recent than xx days.  Often times (as exemplified by a recent bad patch with
> UBUNTU and with Fedora Core6), severe implications occurred. In the UBUNTU
> case, the patch broke the GUI,  while with Core6, it broke YUM and hence
> YUMEX.
>
> So, the new option could be set to only accept patches that are more than xx
> days old.
>
> What say you?

This strikes me as a function of the distribution/repository
maintainer, and not of yum. For a distro like centos, most of the
'new' packages in the repository are security/bugfix updates, and
should be applied without delay.

There's a difference between a bugfix/security fix package and a
bleeding edge release that may or may not be stable. This idea seems
to be working around breakage by breaking more things. Bad mojo.

George Orwell