[Yum] bizarre yum badness -- packages removed instead of updated...

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Aug 25 15:13:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 08:59:09AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> 1. is there anything common about the 1/8th?

Clearly, in that they all broke. :) Other than that, not that we can
discern. We thought it might have something to do with the kernel-devel
update and the installonlyn plugin (ie which kernel-devel packages were
installed), but I'm pretty sure now that that's a red herring.

Hmm. I wonder if the ones that broke were running 2.6.9-34.0.1.EL, and the
ones that didn't, 2.6.9-34.0.2.EL. I'll check into that. But even then, what
about it would make rpm/yum decide to do an erase instead of upgrade?

> 2. is it possible to recreate this situation but do the transaction with
> rpm as much as possible?

It seems to work fine every time, although we haven't tried much along those
lines at this point. I'll see what more I can do.

> This feels like it is a function of the openafs package being updated
> but I don't know what's going on here from this.

We've updated openafs dozens of times this way with no problem. It's weird.

Any guess on the discrepancy between the captured yum output vs. the logs
and the reality that the package got erased instead of upgraded?