[Yum] yum upgrade kernel on fedora??

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 21:04:01 UTC 2006

On 8/21/06, Luciano Costa <ltcnikit at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I was doing upgrade of kernel using yum and I had some problems. Look that:
>  prompt>yum upgrade kernel
>  Setting up Upgrade Process
>  Setting up repositories
>  core
>           [1/3]
>  updates
>           [2/3]
>  extras
>           [3/3]
>  Reading repository metadata in from local files
>  Resolving Dependencies
>  --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>  ---> Package kernel.i686 0:2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 set to be installed
>  --> Running transaction check
>  --> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts oprofile < 0.9.1-2
>  --> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts isdn4k-utils < 3.2-32
>  --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
>  --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>  ---> Package isdn4k-utils.i386 0:3.2-41.1.fc5 set to be updated
>  --> Running transaction check
>  --> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts oprofile < 0.9.1-2
>  --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>  Error: kernel conflicts with oprofile < 0.9.1-2
>
>   What does it means this message?! Why the conflicts occurred? What do I do
> to solve this problem?!
>
>  thanks in advances

What distribution are you running?  The kernel which is trying to be
installed is from FC5.  The only way to get a conflict is if oprofile
is from an earlier release since FC5 comes with oprofile-0.9.1-8.
What version of oprofile do you have installed? Are you trying to do
an upgrade between releases?

I would suggest doing a "yum update" to bring everything up-to-date.
Alternatively, remove oprofile, update the kernel, and reinstall
oprofile with the new version.

 - Ian