[Yum] yum and squid

Larry Dillon dillonl at rocky.edu
Wed Aug 16 15:47:04 UTC 2006

Dear Yum list:

I've search the 'net and haven't found a clear answer regarding the "best practices" regarding Squid.

We use yum to update a few different Linux distro's.
For FC4 and FC5, we have created local repos as many machines want the updates.
For less popular distro's, squid seems like a good idea (until I figured out that one gets a different, random mirror
each time and all it really does is pollute the cache)

Obviously, minimal client configuration would be a plus.

It the best approach:

1.  Don't use squid, even though it puts extra burden on the mirrors.
2.  Edit every .repo definition to use one site (baseurl=).
3.  Make a local mirrorlist, perhaps in conjunction with the failovermethod=priority setting.
4.  Some marvelously elegant solution that I have failed to consider.

(Oh, please let it be #4)

--
Larry Dillon
Desktop Support Manager