[Yum] Headers and RPMs ...

Lee Taylor clintonlee.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 08:53:58 UTC 2006

Greetings ...

 I sent a question to the list a few moons back, asking if yum could look to
see if the rpm had already been download, instead of trying to download the
header to check what else was need for a rpm.

 The short of the message, which is good advise, was to use the latest yum
because headers are not used any more.  Not a problem, but I'm using Fedora
Core 5 with yum version 2.6.1.

 Okay, it's true, yum does not need headers on the server side, but, in
Brian Long 's words ...

> In older days, yum used
> header files in repodata.  Nowadays, yum uses byte-ranges to download
> just the header of each RPM to compute the dependencies.

 But, if one has already downloaded the needed rpm, then yum could pull the
header right out of the rpm and not byte-range download it off the net ...
This would also help when doing a yum update on a new install without having
to really access the net, but I think you would still need the repo xml
files ... This is what I was getting at with my previous message to the list
... So, can we get yum to do this?

 The reason I download the rpms myself with wget, is that yum seems to stall
and take many times longer to download the rpms than wget ... On networks
with the internet under alot of load, I see this most.

Mailed
Lee

P.S. Please don't take this as a complaint, because yum is better than
sliced bread!! Thanks guys!!