[Yum] local dependencies without headers

Ted Miller tmiller at broadcast.net
Mon Aug 14 12:30:19 UTC 2006

Menno Smits wrote:
> Ted Miller wrote:
>> If I do an "yum install foo", yum exits because it cannot download the
>> headers.  I assume this is related to the "ToDo" and wish-list items
>> about not downloading headers.  If I could get yum to proceed through
>> the install  until it gets to the y/N question, it would have told me
>> the files it was going to need, and I could write a script to extract
>> those names.
>
> Yum exiting because it cannot download headers sounds like a
> configuration problem.

Keep in mind that what it complains about is accurate.  The only repos it
can see are my local mirrors, which are just indexes (repodata directory),
with no *.rpm files in the RPMS directory, because yum hasn't told me what
*.rpm files it needs to work with.

> Can you post the contents of your yum.conf and
> any .repo files.

[root at Office2-Centos1 /home/tmiller]$cat /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=centos-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

#added by Ted
plugins=1
pluginpath=/usr/lib/yum-plugins

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

[root at Office2-Centos1 /home/tmiller]$cat /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo
[base]
name=CentOS-4.3 - Base
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/centos/4.3/os/x86_64
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
enabled=1

[updates] repository filelist sync
name=CentOS-4.3 - Updates
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/centos/4.3/updates/x86_64
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
enabled=1

[centosplus]
name=CentOS-4.3 - CentOSPlus
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/centos/4.3/centosplus/x86_64
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
enabled=0

[extras]
name=CentOS-4.3 - Extras
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/centos/4.3/extras/x86_64
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
enabled=1

[fasttrack]
name=CentOS-4.3 - FastTrack
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/centos/4.3/fasttrack/x86_64
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
enabled=1

[jpackage-rhel]
name=JPackage (free) for Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/jpackage/1.6/redhat-el-4.0/free
#mirrorlist=http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage_rhel-$releasever.txt
#failovermethod=priority
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage.asc
enabled=1

[jpackage-free]
name=JPackage (free), generic
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/jpackage/1.6/generic/free
#mirrorlist=http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage_generic.txt
#failovermethod=priority
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage.asc
enabled=1

[jpackage-non-free]
name=JPackage (non-free), generic
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/jpackage/1.6/generic/non-free
#mirrorlist=http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage_generic.txt
#failovermethod=priority
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage.asc
enabled=1

[karan-FedoraCore]
name=Karan's packages from Fedora Core
baseurl=file:///usr/local/repo/repos/karan/el4/extras/stable/x86_64/RPMS
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1

> Also, what version of Yum are you using? (run "yum --version")

2.4.2
Keep in mind that this is Centos, which is based on the RHEL philosophy
that "latest is NOT greatest".  If yum behavior has changed, I will be glad
to try an updated version.

>> I have noticed that when I run "yum resolvedep foo" there is a number
>> in front of the file name it returns, but I have found no
>> documentation on what that number means.  Does a 0 mean that the file
>> is already installed?  If so, I might be able to filter the
>> "dependency:" output of deplist to figure out what I already have, and
>> what I need to download.
>
> The 0 is the package epoch. It's a version number that takes precedence
> over all other version information during dependency processing. Most
> packages have an epoch of 0, hence all the 0's you are seeing.
>
> Unfortunately, it won't help you with what you're trying to do.

Scratch that idea.

>> If someone can point me to a simple way to get that file list of
>> unresolved dependencies, I would be very grateful.
>
> You should be able to run "yum install foo" to find out what you need.
> Let's try and solve that problem.

That's where yum is (accurately) seeing the missing *.rpm file, and
throwing in the towel on the first one.  Probably not a bad behavior for
the intended application (can't complete the install if the files are not
present), but rotten for mine.

It would be nice if yum would say: "I can't find foo, so I can't complete
this install.  I was also going to install fi, fo, and fum."  It currently
does the first sentence, but not the second.

Thanks for any insights,
Ted Miller