[Yum] local dependencies without headers

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Mon Aug 14 11:09:59 UTC 2006

Ted Miller wrote:

> If I do an "yum install foo", yum exits because it cannot download the
> headers.  I assume this is related to the "ToDo" and wish-list items
> about not downloading headers.  If I could get yum to proceed through
> the install  until it gets to the y/N question, it would have told me
> the files it was going to need, and I could write a script to extract
> those names.

Yum exiting because it cannot download headers sounds like a
configuration problem. Can you post the contents of your yum.conf and
any .repo files.

Also, what version of Yum are you using? (run "yum --version")

> I have noticed that when I run "yum resolvedep foo" there is a number in
> front of the file name it returns, but I have found no documentation on
> what that number means.  Does a 0 mean that the file is already
> installed?  If so, I might be able to filter the "dependency:" output of
> deplist to figure out what I already have, and what I need to download.

The 0 is the package epoch. It's a version number that takes precedence
over all other version information during dependency processing. Most
packages have an epoch of 0, hence all the 0's you are seeing.

Unfortunately, it won't help you with what you're trying to do.

> If someone can point me to a simple way to get that file list of
> unresolved dependencies, I would be very grateful.

You should be able to run "yum install foo" to find out what you need.
Let's try and solve that problem.

Menno