[Yum] local dependencies without headers

Ted Miller tmiller at broadcast.net
Mon Aug 14 04:50:44 UTC 2006

I am trying to keep my Centos 4 system at home up to date, and add some
software, but I am having a hard time because I am on dialup.  I have high
speed access at work, and can download packages there, but am having a hard
time getting past the dependency loop I find myself in with yum.

What I need is way to tell yum "I want to install foo" and have yum tell me
"here is the list of packages you need to get at work tomorrow in order to
install foo"

What I have done so far is to create some "local unpopulated mirrors" on my
local hard drive.  The contain the directory structure for a mirror, but
are basically empty.  I have written a script that uses rsync to update the
files in the repodata directory over my dialup, and that works well.  yum
looks at these local repo drives for all it's information.  I can do things
like "yum list all foo" and "yum deplist foo" and "yum resolvedep foo", and
they all work fine, but none of them gives me the information I need.

I have tried deplist, but it lists global dependencies.  Even for packages
that are already installed on my machine, it gives me a half a page of
dependency information.  Abundant information, but totally useless for my
purposes.

If I do an "yum install foo", yum exits because it cannot download the
headers.  I assume this is related to the "ToDo" and wish-list items about
not downloading headers.  If I could get yum to proceed through the install
  until it gets to the y/N question, it would have told me the files it was
going to need, and I could write a script to extract those names.

I have noticed that when I run "yum resolvedep foo" there is a number in
front of the file name it returns, but I have found no documentation on
what that number means.  Does a 0 mean that the file is already installed?
  If so, I might be able to filter the "dependency:" output of deplist to
figure out what I already have, and what I need to download.

If someone can point me to a simple way to get that file list of unresolved
dependencies, I would be very grateful.

Ted Miller