[Yum] Fixing broken yum install on RHEL 4

Jeff Boes murwiz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 20:16:05 UTC 2006

I broke my yum installation, and repeated attempts to correct it have
not helped. Could someone take me by the hand and walk me through fixing
this, off-list if necessary?

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   No module named yum

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.4.3 (#1, Jul 26 2006, 12:55:29)
[GCC 3.4.5 20051201 (Red Hat 3.4.5-2)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

I have uninstalled and re-installed yum and python to no avail.