[Yum] Yum and installed packages size

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Apr 28 12:50:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>
>> Hansen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> First, I want to thanks to developers that create this great packaging
>>> software. With Yum I need no worry again about RPM dependency hell ;)
>>>
>>> Second, I'm involve with local group that try to create new distro base
>>> on Fedora Core. I want to know how to calculate package size when the
>>> software already installed. I can retrieve package size with repoquery,
>>> but not if what I want is packages that already installed. How can I do
>>> that? What plugin or yum util must be use?
>>>
>> Try something like this:
>> rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{version}.%{release} %{SIZE}\n'
>
> Or with repoquery:
>
> repoquery --pkgnarrow=installed -a --qf "%{name} %{installedsize}"

Oh, so you want the package file size for installed packages, wasn't
quite clear...

That information is not stored in rpmdb. But assuming all the packages are
in a repository you can use this to get the package sizes of currently
installed packages:
repoquery --qf "%{name} %{packagesize}" `rpm -qa`

 	- Panu -