[Yum] Problems with yum after FC4 update

Michael Simpson 1michael.simpson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 22:00:13 UTC 2006

Since updating to Fedora Core 4 I haven't been able to get yum to work.
When I try to run yum update I get the following message:

*[root at sight etc]# yum update
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:*

*   No module named rpm*

*Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.*

*It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005, 15:19:29)
[GCC 4.0.0 20050512 (Red Hat 4.0.0-5)]*

In python this is the error I get when I try to import yum & rpm

*[root at insight etc]# python
Python 2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005, 15:19:29)
>>> import yum
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "__init__.py", line 21, in ?
ImportError: No module named rpm
>>> import rpm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named rpm
*

This is what I have:

*[root at sight etc]# rpm -q python
python-2.4.1-2
[root at sight etc]# rpm -q rpm
rpm-4.4.2-15.1_58.rhfc2.at
[root at sight etc]# rpm -q yum
yum-2.4.1-1.fc4*

I'm fairly new to linux, can anyone help me?

Thank you.