[Yum] groupreq and yum 2.6

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 11 10:43:27 UTC 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 10:06 PM, seth vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 20:20 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>> On Apr 10, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>>>
>>> Group dependencies are no longer supported in FC-5 comps/
>>> yumgroups.xml
>>> format. I miss them too... but the groupreq got sacrificed for
>>> the GUI
>>> gods, expressing the group dependencies in GUI tools doesn't really
>>> work.
>>>
>>> 	- Panu -
>>
>> So, I've been curious - is there a new "more better" way to do this
>> in yum 2.6?  I get the impression that the comps format (ie.
>> yumgroups.xml) is going the way of the dodo bird.  Seth has brought
>> up alternatives for how mock should handle this, but I'm unaware of
>> how "groups" are/will be handled in yum 2.6+.  Is this still under
>> development?  Is it an underground movement to do away with the
>> segregation of packages? :)  If it has already been decided, is there
>> a place I can read about groups support in current versions of yum?
>>

> in order to make the gui work we had to minimize some of the crazy
> recursive possibilities of groups and pull out some other difficult
> concepts. I'm not adverse to putting some of the things back in
> but I'd
> want to make sure it's done in conjunction with things that anaconda
> needs to make sure we don't break the installer for fedora. :)
>
> What functionality is it that you need from the groups and let's
> see if
> there is a happy medium in here somewhere?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -sv

I'm actually pretty happy with the current (yum 2.6) setup.
Specifically, I want to have a text file where I can list groups and
their packages.  yumgroups.xml minus the groupreq stuff works fine
for me.  If you plan on keeping the current state of yumgroups.xml, I
would be happy with that - though I don't speak for everyone, of course.

I figured that since you have already changed some of the groups
code, you probably had something in mind as far as a new way to
handle groups, but since I haven't found anything on the devel list,
I thought I'd ask.

-Jeff