[Yum] groupreq and yum 2.6

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Apr 11 02:06:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 20:20 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >
> > Group dependencies are no longer supported in FC-5 comps/yumgroups.xml
> > format. I miss them too... but the groupreq got sacrificed for the GUI
> > gods, expressing the group dependencies in GUI tools doesn't really
> > work.
> >
> > 	- Panu -
>
> So, I've been curious - is there a new "more better" way to do this
> in yum 2.6?  I get the impression that the comps format (ie.
> yumgroups.xml) is going the way of the dodo bird.  Seth has brought
> up alternatives for how mock should handle this, but I'm unaware of
> how "groups" are/will be handled in yum 2.6+.  Is this still under
> development?  Is it an underground movement to do away with the
> segregation of packages? :)  If it has already been decided, is there
> a place I can read about groups support in current versions of yum?

in order to make the gui work we had to minimize some of the crazy
recursive possibilities of groups and pull out some other difficult
concepts. I'm not adverse to putting some of the things back in  but I'd
want to make sure it's done in conjunction with things that anaconda
needs to make sure we don't break the installer for fedora. :)

What functionality is it that you need from the groups and let's see if
there is a happy medium in here somewhere?

Thanks,