[Yum] local repo before remote?

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Mon Apr 10 08:08:11 UTC 2006

Stuart McGraw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a local repo that has a subset of Fedora Extra
> packages in it.  When I install a package with yum, I
> would like it to install from the local repo rather
> than a remote repo because I have a slow (sometimes
> 0-b/S) internet connection.
>
> There is nothing about this in the docs but in the faq
> it says repos are used in order of their occurance in
> the[sic] yum.conf file.  This does not appear to work.
> I moved both my local repo config and the fed-ex repo
> config into yum.conf in the desired order.  I also made
> the repo names sort the right way, but yum still goes
> to the network.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this really broken?

man yum.conf
<snip>
failovermethod
Either ‘roundrobin’ or ‘priority’.

‘roundrobin’ randomly selects a URL out of the list of URLs to
start with and proceeds through each of them as it encounters a
failure contacting the host.

‘priority’ starts from the first baseurl listed and reads
through them sequentially.

failovermethod defaults to ‘roundrobin’ if not specified.
</snip>

Use

failovermethod=priority

in your .repo file