[Yum] Re: please save me from uninstalling and reinstalling everything python

mitch gorman mitch at speedlimit35.com
Thu Apr 6 17:37:24 UTC 2006

mitch gorman wrote:

> i'm at wits' end.  after  upgrading in-place an FC4 box to FC5, i'm
> unable to run yum, or any of the yum utils, or up2date.  i've tried
> reinstalling, with --force, all of yum, libxml2, and libxml2-python,
> and still i'm getting the following:

    apparently, my wits end far sooner than they ought.

wget ftp://xmlsoft.org/libxml2/libxml2-sources-2.6.23.tar.gz
tar xvfz libxml2-sources-2.6.23.tar.gz
cd libxml2-2.6.23
./configure --with-python
make && make install

[root at speedlimit35 ~]# yum
You need to give some command

usage: yum [options] < update | install | info | remove | list |
    clean | provides | search | check-update | groupinstall |
    groupupdate | grouplist | groupinfo | groupremove |
    makecache | localinstall | erase | upgrade | whatprovides |
    localupdate | resolvedep | shell | deplist >

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -t, --tolerant        be tolerant of errors
  -C                    run entirely from cache, don't update cache
  -c  [config file]     config file location
  -R  [minutes]         maximum command wait time
  -d  [debug level]     debugging output level
  -e  [error level]     error output level
  -y                    answer yes for all questions
  --version             show Yum version and exit
  --installroot=[path]  set install root
  --enablerepo=[repo]   enable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
  --disablerepo=[repo]  disable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
  --exclude=[package]   exclude package(s) by name or glob
  --obsoletes           enable obsoletes processing during updates
  --noplugins           disable Yum plugins
  --changelog           Show changelog delta of updated packages
[root at speedlimit35 ~]#

wooohooooo!!