[Yum] please save me from uninstalling and reinstalling everything python

mitch gorman mitch at speedlimit35.com
Thu Apr 6 01:28:44 UTC 2006

i'm at wits' end.  after  upgrading in-place an FC4 box to FC5, i'm
unable to run yum, or any of the yum utils, or up2date.  i've tried
reinstalling, with --force, all of yum, libxml2, and libxml2-python, and
still i'm getting the following:

__________
[root at speedlimit35 yum-utils-0.5]# yum
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
xmlTextReaderSchemaValidateCtxt

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.4.2 (#1, Feb 12 2006, 03:59:46)
[GCC 4.1.0 20060210 (Red Hat 4.1.0-0.24)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
___________

     what's really bizarre is that, when i booted via the DVD into
rescue mode, and did my 'chroot /mnt/sysimage', i *was* able to
successfully run yum, and installed a few packages at that time.
however, when i rebooted from disk, the above error was back in all its
gory glory.  i'm pretty sure there's a clue there to what the true
problem is, but damned if i can figure out what it might be...

    at this point, i'm seriously considering doing an rpm -e on the
entire python dependency base, and reinstalling it all over again.
hopefully, however, one of you gentle souls will share with me the
proper incantation to mutter, with the appropriate amount of goat's
blood and chicken bones to employ, that will spare me from that dreadful
endeavor!

    TIA.