[Yum] Proxy settings are ignored - needs working dns

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Sun Apr 2 19:33:46 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 03:33:42PM +1000, David Timms wrote:
> OK, the machine tries to directly dns lookup the address of the AAAA
> record of fedora.redhat.com, then A of the same. Within our network,
> only the proxy machine is allowed to do this, so yum never gets dns answers.

Are you doing ftp or http?  In grepping through urllib2.py, I see
where the ftp code does a lookup, but I don't see where one happens
for http.  Now, many proxies don't handle http byteranges well (a
feature yum uses and a reason we generally recommend ftp behind a
proxy) so you may be SOL.  If it's a dns problem that's getting you,
can you plug in the IP address directly?

					-Michael

  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619
  University of Arizona                                         ECE 524G