[Yum] Proxy settings are ignored

sunset dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 1 13:46:30 UTC 2006

Could someone give some examples of correct proxy format in the yum.conf and
/ or .repo files ?

I've tried: (on FC5 that can connect to a wingate on winxp proxy).
proxy=192.168.2.2
proxy=192.168.2.2:80
proxy=http://192.168.2.2
proxy=http://192.168.2.2/
proxy=http://192.168.2.2:80
proxy=http://192.168.2.2:80/
but though the internal proxy is working for web pages, yum always responds
with:
Setting up repositories:
Core
sits there for 30secs and then
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core.

The wingate proxy logs all pages requested as well as active connections,
but never sees an attempt from the machine in question. I can install /
packet trace with ethereal or maybe I'm just doing something wrong ?