[Yum] Weirdness with Package Errors

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Fri Sep 30 02:05:23 UTC 2005

With 2.4.0, I have been getting a lot of these errors lately:

Error: Requiring package libxml2-python-2.6.21-4.el3 not in transaction
set                                   nor in rpmdb
Error: Requiring package python2.4-devel-2 not in transaction set
nor in rpmdb

libxml2-python-2.6.21-4.el3 -> libxml2-devel-2.6.21-3.el3.pyv

python2.4-devel-2 -> python2.4-devel-2.4-1pydotorg

There really is another error buried underneath: either the packages
conflict or an Obsoletes is not being processed.  In my case, my
python24-devel package does not properly Obsolete python2.4-devel.
However, because somehow Yum is cutting off the %{release}, it probably
cannot determine the actual problems because the cut off package is
*not* in the transaction set.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? I'll try to peel away the layers, but
the pattern that I am seeing is that the %{release} is cut off in the
wrong way.

--
-jeff