[Yum] Re: Problem with yum after upgrading to fc3

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:10:37 UTC 2005

On 9/29/05, Nic Soltani <oopsnic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I upgraded from the CD which I downloaded from the
> fedora.org<http://fedora.org>,
> perhaps it was with my distro,
> After yum errors, I started to learn that yum is using python and I got
> curious to find out more about python, and I downloaded the rpm package
> from
> rpm.pbone.net <http://rpm.pbone.net>.
> What I noticed was that somewhere in the file name there was "mdk" which I
> believe stands for mandrake,

You installed a mandrake rpm on a Fedora (redhat) machine.  Unless you
really really knew what you were doing (seems you didn't) this was a
mistake.

> but what surprises me is that even right after
> upgrading to FC4 I had this probelm so it must have been the problem with
> the distro's python.
> Meanwhile, I didn't have this problem with FC3.

I'm not sure how you conclude that this is a problem with FC4.  Here
is my understanding of the chain of events:

+Working FC3 system
+"Upgrade" to FC4 which is known to cause problems unless you really
know what you are doing
+Yum problems that probably could have been solved by searching the
list archives for the same error
+Curiosity and installation of a mandrake package on a FC machine even
though python was already installed
+Python continues to not work
+Yum continues to not work

The Mandrake package is adding to your problems and makes debugging
more confusing.

So, as others have mentioned, the easiest solution to your problem is
to back up the files you need and reinstall FC4 from scratch.  I would
actually recommend that as long as you are reinstalling  you choose
something that has either a longer lifecycle or a better means to
upgrade than the FC line such as CentOS or Ubuntu.

Regards,
Greg