[Yum] Re: what does this error mean?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 19:14:06 UTC 2005

On 9/27/05, Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
> linux:/opt/finishing/rpms/yum-x86_64 # yum update
> Error: Bad repository file ///etc/yum.repos.d/main.repo, no repo stanzas.
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> No Repositories Available to Set Up
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
>
> My repo file looks like this:
>
> linux:/opt/finishing/rpms/yum-x86_64 # cat /etc/yum.repos.d/main.repo
> [main]
> gpgcheck=0
> name=SuSE Linux 9.3
> baseurl=ftp://192.168.0.1/suse

<snip lots of useful troubleshooting>

> What is strange is that this same config works on another machine using
> a different repository without this error

First, you've done a good job of hunting down common problems, so
kudos to you for that.

Are you sure that the configuration is the same?  I think that by
naming your repo "main" you have confused yum.  On my system I have
two files:

/etc/yum.conf
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo

The /etc/yum.conf file contains a [main] section which includes a
variety of options that are used by all of my other repositories.

The CentOS-Base.repo file is the file that actually points to my repository.

In short, I think that you could fix your problem by changing from
[main] to [somethingelse] in your main.repo file.

There is lots more fun information on this in "man yum.conf" and
http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/ManYumConf

Regards,
Greg