[Yum] Build issues on rhel4

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Fri Sep 23 00:04:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-22-09 at 13:26 -0700, Peter C. Norton wrote:
> Hmm, interesting.
>
> Either way, for both yum and yum-utils the _sysconfdir, _mandir, and
> _initrddir are not passed to configure and so having the macros in use
> there cause breakage when they're not the default on the platform that
> the package maintainer is using.
>
> If these aren't going to be passed to configure, then they should be
> removed because they're getting in the way of the specfile being
> cross-platform.
>
> Personally I think it'd be better to have conditionals at least where
> the macro's aren't defined. For instance, documenting that for
> building on RHELAS you have to run
>
> rpmbuild --define "RHEL 1"
>
> so that this in the top:
> %if %{RHEL}
>   %define _sysconfdir /etc
> %else
>   %define something else
> %endif
>
> Makes everything work.

I don't think anyone cares enough to make the specfile for yum
cross-platform. "Cross-platform" specfiles are a horrid mess, and it's
much better if someone just maintains their own specfile for their
favourite distribution.

Redhat rpm config package is the assumed requirement for a sane build
environment, so it's not explicitly defined, just like rpm-build isn't
explicitly defined. It's assumed that if you're going to build RPMs,
you're going to have this package installed.

And, on a bit of a segue, PLEASE use the address you have subscribed
with to send messages. Having to approve each of your posts is a real
bother.

Regards,
--icon