[Yum] error!??

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 04:25:40 UTC 2005

On 9/15/05, zdavid fafarde <zdavidfafarde at hotmail.com> wrote:
> i don't know why but when i tried to install yum it did what is described in
> this file i'm sending you.  I'm kinda new to linux and i would appreciate a
> little help.

zdavid fafarde,

You should probably paste the error into the body rather than making
it an attachment - most folks don't like opening attachments from
unknown users and it's pretty standard on the yum list to just send
the error in the body of the email.  That said, it's pasted below for
general consumption.

Couple questions for you,

What version of python are using? (execute  python -V in a command shell)
What version of linux? (execute uname -a in a command shell)
What version of yum?  (execute yum --version)

Given that we should be able to help you out more.  It's most likely
that you don't have something installed that is required by yum and
you'll need to add that module to your machine.

Regards,
Greg

For anyone hesitant to open the file:
+++++++++++++++++++++
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   %s

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
%s

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please send this
message to <yum at lists.linux.duke.edu>.
""" % (sys.exc_value, sys.version)
   sys.exit(1)

sys.path.insert(0, '/usr/share/yum-cli')
try:
    import yummain
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
except KeyboardInterrupt, e:
    print >> sys.stderr, "\n\nExiting on user cancel."
    sys.exit(1)