[Yum] Upgrade from FC3 to FC4 with yum problem.

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Sun Sep 11 05:31:12 UTC 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 11:13, Joel wrote:
> Perhaps there is an
> incompatibility in the latest versions of yum, rpm, and python? Let
> me know if you need any more information.

It's because on fc3, yum and rpm and libxml2 are all located
in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/, whereas on fc4 they are located
in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/.  The upgrade of python 2.3.4 to
python 2.4.1 utilizes the same executable binary: /usr/bin/python,
without notion of version compatibilities.  The yum binary utilizes
#!/usr/bin/python and therefore technically can work with any python,
but it's a bit deceiving, since it won't work because the above
explanation. I like to force #!/usr/bin/python2.3 to make it dead
obvious the package needs to be upgraded...

I'm not sure why you had to downgrade, since I have those versions on my
system and it works.  Maybe an ldconfig problem??  Not sure.

--
-jeff