[Yum] Upgrade from FC3 to FC4 with yum problem.

Joel joel at joeljoyner.com
Sun Sep 11 03:13:23 UTC 2005

Hello. I have recently upgraded from FC3 to FC4 using the guide at
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html.
After I finished the instructions at that site, running the command:
'yum update' as root returned this result:

The yum libraries do not seem to be availableon your system for this
version of python  2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005,
  15:19:29)
[GCC 4.0.0 20050512 (Red Hat 4.0.0-5)]
Please make sure the package you used to installyum was built for your
install of python.

The above is a cut-and-paste, including the spacing. I then tried to
solve the problem by re-installing some rpms:

libxml2-2.6.20-1.FC4.i386.rpm
libxml2-python-2.6.20-1.FC4.i386.rpm
libxslt-python-1.1.14-2.i386.rpm
python-2.4.1-2.i386.rpm
python-devel-2.4.1-2.i386.rpm
python-elementtree-1.2.6-4.i386.rpm
python-ldap-2.0.6-4.i386.rpm
python-sqlite-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm
python-urlgrabber-2.9.6-1.noarch.rpm
rpm-4.4.1-22.i386.rpm
rpm-build-4.4.1-22.i386.rpm
rpm-devel-4.4.1-22.i386.rpm
rpm-libs-4.4.1-22.i386.rpm
xml-common-0.6.3-17.noarch.rpm

I had to use the --force option, since 'rpm -Uvh' reported that they
were already installed. I also upgraded yum to 2.4.0 via a .src.rpm
package, and using the 'rpmbuild --rebuild' command. After I did this,
running 'yum update' gives me this message:

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

    /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
xmlSchemaIsValid

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005, 15:19:29)
[GCC 4.0.0 20050512 (Red Hat 4.0.0-5)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please send this
message to <yum at lists.linux.duke.edu>.

I then forcibly downgraded to these RPM's:

libxml2-2.6.19-1.i386.rpm
libxml2-python-2.6.19-1.i386.rpm
rpm-4.4.1-21.i386.rpm
rpm-build-4.4.1-21.i386.rpm
rpm-devel-4.4.1-21.i386.rpm
rpm-libs-4.4.1-21.i386.rpm
rpm-python-4.4.1-21.i386.rpm

and then I managed to get yum working again. Perhaps there is an
incompatibility in the latest versions of yum, rpm, and python? Let me
know if you need any more information.

Thanks

-- Joel