[Yum] Re: relationship between up2date and yum repos

Jeff Stern jas at uci.edu
Thu Sep 8 21:49:10 UTC 2005

hi steven,

1) sorry, if i conveyed that i had a "concern" with people
listing their repositories in the /etc/yum.conf file (instead of
in separate .repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d/), then i didn't mean
to- my mistake. actually, i don't really care how other people do
it (and i *know* they don't care whether i care :P ) ..

for me, personally, i just use the separate .repo file method
because it is easier to add/edit/delete repositories that way
(and the /etc/yum.conf file i just leave pristine as the .rpm
installed it, or updated it). also, it's easier (for me) when
publishing my own repository, to document how to use my
repository by just providing users with a .repo file to dump into
their /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory, and it's done (instead of
telling them to edit the yum.conf file manually). but that's all
just idiosyncratic personal preference.. :/

my main concern was just to mention the up2date bug which happens
if you are running using the .repo file method and depending only
on the up2date/rhn-applet alert icon (not yum itself) to update.

2) as far as crossover, much like garrick, i just figure out the
packages i want from the 3rd-party repositories, and use
includepkgs= and exclude=.

for instance, i use the 'dries' repository to get pine for my
fedora box. so here is my /etc/yum.repos.d/dries.repo file:

[dries]
name=Extra Fedora rpms dries - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/dries.ulyssis.org/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/dries/RPMS/
includepkgs=pine
enabled=1

and in all my other .repo files i added the following
line:

exclude=pine

it does get a little more complicated when it comes to
dependencies for these third party packages, because i have to
add those in too to my includepkgs= and exclude= lines.. but
anyway, that's how i manage it at least..

anyway, not much of an answer, but i hope that it helps..

--jeff