[Yum] Re: relationship between up2date and yum repos

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Thu Sep 8 17:41:35 UTC 2005

> the fact that the alert icon bug has not been publicly announced by
> redhat (or the fedora folks?) in order to notify people to use yum
> instead (or to at least list all repositories in the /etc/yum.conf file
> instead of in separate files in /etc/yum.repos.d/), is particularly
> alarming (and people have noted this in the bug itself).

Dear Jeff,

Can you explain your concern for people using placing repo files in
/etc/yum.repos.d over inserting into yum.conf? Even the yum.conf file
indicates that either alternative is acceptable.

I agree with you that the bug with the up2date alert icon is a real
problem. I think that there has been enough chatter on the issue that
most admins know about this, but this kind of glaring bug makes RedHat
look bad.

I was really hoping to hear more about how others manage the crossover
that occurs between packages in Fedora's repos and other repos. If you
or anyone else has comments on this, please post. I understand that for
some this may be 101 stuff, but I also get the sense that there are many
who are not certain how to address this. I base my assumption on how
little available information I can locate on the subject.

Thanks again,
Steven