[Yum] Re: relationship between up2date and yum repos

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Wed Sep 7 18:58:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 14:20 -0400, Steven Stromer wrote:
> Thanks for responding Glen. Based on your similar observations, I am
> starting to view up2date as more equivalent to the rpm command; both are
> mainly intended for MANAGING the packages that make Fedora Core work.
> Thus, yum becomes the tool for EXTENDING Fedora. When I view it this
> way, I find the whole package management system a bit more graspable.

The current situation is definitely a bit confusing. Add/Remove
Applications (system-config-packages), up2date and the Alerter Icon were
originally written to work together on supported Red Hat systems pulling
packages from the install CDs and RHN. These are going to be replaced in
Fedora by yum and new graphical applications built on yum, but the
current Fedora releases carry both the old RH applications and yum.

FWIW, we (documenters) are trying to gently steer people away from the
other applications and towards yum, since it can install individual
packages and carry out updates more effectively, as well as performing
the standard functions with your choice of repositories. You might find
this helpful:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/sn-software-management-tools.html

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA