[Yum] relationship between up2date and yum repos

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Wed Sep 7 14:51:30 UTC 2005

Dear Group,

I hope I am posting to the most appropriate group. There doesn't seem to
be a list for up2date, so I'm hoping some of you are using Fedora.

I am under the understanding that in versions of Fedora previous to FC4,
one had to add new repositories manually to /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
in order for them to appear as available channels in up2date (at least,
this is what my reading so far indicates). However, in FC4, it seems
that by simply adding a new .repo file to the /etc/yum.repos.d
directory, the repository becomes available as a new channel in up2date.
This is a good thing, I would assume.

In my case, I was adding the Dag Wieers Repository, and when I added a
dag.repo file to /etc/yum.repos.d, it automatically appeared as a
'repomd' channel in up2date. When I next added a yum pointer to the same
repository in my sources file, the dag repository appeared twice in
up2date, once as a 'repomd' channel, and once as a 'yum' channel.

Am I correct in my observations?

If so, would I be correct to assume that it is not necessary to add the
yum pointer to my sources file, since that the same repository become
listed as two separate channels in up2date?

If up2date is actively looking for .repo files in the /etc/yum.repos.d
directory, can this action be toggled on or off in any up2date
configuration file?

Finally, (and this is probably a REAL newbie question) when I use
up2date now that the dag repo has been added, it appears that some
installed packages are looking to the dag repository for updates, when
the original packages came from the fedora base and extras repos. If I
want my system to look to the fedora repositories ONLY for updates to
these packages, is this possible? Even when I uncheck the dag channel
before retrieving the list of available package updates, it appears that
some of the packages want to be updated from dag. Have I already allowed
dag to update some packages that had to be installed due to dependencies
on the one package I really wanted from dag, thus 'giving them over' to
dag for control?

I've searched unsuccessfully for answers to these questions. If the
answers are already posted somewhere, please just point me in the right
direction.

Thanks,
Steven Stromer