[Yum] Error while trying to use yum

Luis Gerardo Conelly Espinosa luis.conelly at softtek.com
Mon Oct 31 22:17:40 UTC 2005

Hi all,

    I am trying to use yum to update my brand new FC4. However, when I tried to perform a clean or update, I get the following message:

-------------------------------
Config Error: Error accessing file for config file:///etc/yum.conf
-------------------------------

=========== All the steps below were performed using [root] as user ===========

I am behind a proxy, so I did the following before attempt to use yum:

$ export HTTP_PROXY=http://ip.valid.proxy.name:port/
$ export FTP_PROXY=http://ip.valid.proxy.name:port/

Then, I tried to do a yum update

$ yum -t --except=open-office* update

I got the error above. Then I tried to perform a cleanup and start over with:

$ yum clean all

To no avail at all.

I have used the following configurations for my [/etc/yum.conf] file

**************************************
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=0
retries=1
timeout=10
obsoletes=1
# gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d
**************************************

AND

**************************************
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
# gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

All directories / files are owned by [root], so I can't see the error.

The version of YUM I am using is :

[root at localhost etc]# yum --version
2.3.2
[package yum-fedorafaq-4-2005.07.25a]

At this point I am kind of confused, since I have used yum before and I haven't seen this error. I have googled a bit and the suggestions around have not been very helpful.

Appreciate any pointers / help.

Regards,

Luis