[Yum] RHN and Yum

Joanna Green Joanna.Green at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 28 15:06:32 UTC 2005

>On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 22:06 -0500, Jack Neely wrote:
>>/ Folks,
>/>/
>/>/ So, apperently, that big, long traceback was urllib2's way of telling me
>/>/ that it doesn't like non-string headers.
>/>/
>/>/ Attached is an actual working rhn.py.  It can query and fetch files from
>/>/ either Current (which I found some neat protocall brokenness in) and
>/>/ RHN/RHN Proxies.
>/>/
>/
>cool. Now to get it working so we can use it from yum.
>
>-sv

Did you guys get this to work?  The reason I am asking....

We maintain a local yum repository.  Yum has been working great.
Starting to get RH Enterprise boxes now.  Updates for these boxes take
hours and hours. Its ridiculous. Sometimes the update process just
hangs.  Not sure if it is a firewall issue on our end or their end.
Would like to update these boxes with yum.  Have no interest in
circumventing licenses as we would have the IG breathing down our
necks.  Am able to use up2date via RHN and store rpms to a directory
which could be used for a  yum repository.  Problem is, we can only
download updates for the box we have the license on.  Would like to
download updates for all architectures (x86_64, i386).  So how can we do
that without having a bunch of boxes around just for the updates.  There
must be  a nifty neato way to do this.  Was wondering if the above
rhn.py would help out.....

Thanks

JG