[Yum] Comments and Suggestions

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 23 02:09:50 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-22-10 at 15:22 -0700, Michael Stenner wrote:
> > One more thing. I find it also unnecessary for yum to refresh the lists
> > of packages prior to any action. If I try something and it goes wrong or
> > I remember that I have to install something else after a successful
> > install, there is no need to refresh the lists of packages. They are
> > already up2date. Yum should only do a refresh if specifically asked to
> > do so, like apt does. These refreshes can be an annoyingly lengthy
> > operations on older hardware. Yum should keep information in a database,
> > so that it is available without a refresh.
>
> Does the "-C" option meet your needs?

Actually, this isn't exactly the same. Operating in cache-only mode will
stop yum from fetching header ranges from remote repositories, so it's
only useful for operations not involving modifications of the local db.

I think it would be useful to have a feature where repomd is kept for a
certain time before yum re-fetches it again. It's particularly annoying
when mirrorlists are used, since a lot of the times the mirrors get out
of sync. I usually do "yum list updates" before doing "yum update" and
often the two operations will not be identical due to yum hitting
different servers.

I've always disliked apt's feature of having to manually update the
repository info before new stuff becomes visible, so I think that
keeping something like a "cookie" with a life-time of one hour would be
more suitable.

-K