[Yum] python "rpm" module

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Oct 19 20:55:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 22:34 +0200, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to make a debian package of 'yum'.
> The goal is not to manage Debian with yum: I just need to host a yum
> repository on a debian server, and I need some utils embeded in yum.
> (the equivalents of dpkg-scanpackages ans dpkg-scansources).

You don't need (or even want) yum itself to run on Debian, you need
'createrepo'. If you can, forget about creating the repository on Debian
and create the repository on an RPM-based distro and rsync to the Debian
server. If that's not possible, here are my notes of making createrepo
run on Debian Sarge:
https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-python-list/2005-September/000200.html
Some of those manual builds wont be necessary if you have root access to
the box so you can install the relevant -devel packages from Debian and
you might need some more manual building if you dont.

> The problem is yum cant import a "rpm" module:
>
> root-debian# yum
> There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
>    No module named rpm
>
> I looked at the packages.debian.org website and thought
> "python2.x-rpm" would be my solution but after install:

That's not the "real" rpm-python which you'll need for createrepo to
function.

	- Panu -